Sunday, April 18, 2010

Same Sex Marriages Cannot be Undone?


When the same sex marriage debate came up I didn't much care. Or maybe I did but I dunno...I have always thought of myself as a liberal thinker. I figured who cares if people of the same sex want to be married, it is their right. I did realize I had reservations about some things, to my own surprise. Like gay couples adopting. It's funny what you think you believe...Or like the call to change the definition of marriage...Or comparing being gay to being black...I don't agree with that. You never really know until you are in the situation or back is against the wall what you will do. What you in your heart of hearts you actually believe. So its interesting to me that I think "liberal" but harbor some deeply "conservative" thoughts.

Anyway, so I was reading this article on Yahoo entitled "
Divorce dilemma: Texas says gays can't get divorce" and I was like what????


It turns out couples who traveled to states that allow same sex marriage, and cannot be divorced in their home states that do not allow same sex marriage. Kinda funny when you think about it. It appears the rules surrounding same sex marriage have yet to be clearly defined. For instance a couple married in
Massachusetts cannot get a divorces in Texas but New York will grant a same sex divorce but not a marriage.Sounds more confusing than it needs to be.

If Sarah wants to marry Joan, then let it be. And if Joan and Sarah would like to divorce then let it be. Marriages on a whole are a messy business. Male or female. Male to male or female to female. While I do not agree with changing the definition of marriage I do think same sex couples have a right to unify and divorce.

No comments:

Post a Comment